The Province of Ontario has the final authority over many municipal planning activities, most notably through the Ministerial approval of Official Plans and Ontario Municipal Board decisions on appeals of zoning and subdivision decisions. Municipal staff provides guidance to property owners, developers and council to ensure that all the proper guidelines in the Planning act are followed.

The Chief Building Official will review all development proposals and processes various Planning Applications under the planning act.

Site Plan Approval

site plan approval is a required process that you must follow that examines designs and technical aspects of a proposed development.


The zoning by-law regulates the use of land within the municipality. It classifies each property within the municipality with a specific zone and outlines the zoning provisions permitted on the property.

Minor Variance

minor variance allows for a minor change from the requirements of the zoning by-law. It is also required if you wish to expand or change a use that is considered “legal non-conforming”.

Consent Applications

Consent Application must be approved for either a parcel of land to be divided or a parcel of land to be severed. Controlling the division of land gives the Municipality of Wawa a way of ensuring that the creation of lots is consistent with the planning policies of the Municipality of Wawa Official Plan and Provincial planning documents.

Official Plan

The Official Plan is a planning policy document that establishes goals, objectives, land use designations and land use policies for those designations to manage and direct development and land uses throughout the Municipality

Committee of Adjustment

The Committee of Adjustment is a body which council can appoint to consider minor variances from the zoning by-law, land division (consent to sever) and consider alterations to legal non-conforming uses.

Applications to the Committee of Adjustment are processed in accordance with the requirements of the Planning Act, and applicable municipal policies.

The Committee of Adjustment is authorized by the Planning Act to consider applications for:

  • Minor variances from provisions of the Planning Act
  • Extensions, enlargements or variations of existing legal non-conforming uses under the zoning by-law
  • Land division (severing a new lot from an existing lot, adding land to an existing lot)
  • Determining whether a particular use conforms with the provisions of the zoning by-law where the uses of land, buildings or structures permitted in the by-law are defined in general terms